If you choose not to hire an event planner to plan your upcoming event then here are 5 things you need to know about planning an event on your own.
- Give yourself the time– Whether you have 6 weeks or 9 months to plan an event give yourself time and deadlines. If you know when things need to be done by you can plan your work schedule so things are not left all till the last minute.
- Make lists– Lists are great for this. They will be your friend. Sit down and write down everything that is needed to be done and when it needs to be done by. You won’t be rushing to figure out things or thinking you missed a deadline this way. Also every detail that is needed will be in the same place.
- Big Before the Small– Tackle the bigger things first. Once you are clear on the type of event, date/time then it’s time to start looking for the perfect venue first. Do the most important things first because if these wait till even the middle things can be booked and making smaller plans around things that aren’t finalized can be un necessarily time consuming. Venue (date & time), & food all need to be finalized first before you proceed onto the other details such a decoration, music, gift bags.
- Budget– If you have a budget try to stick to it. Booking with event planners can often result in cheaper rates because they negotiate and get better rates. Calculate everything even the smaller details can sum up.
- Always look at the Prize– If something is not working out how you want it to don’t be discouraged. Also look at the end product, the light at the end of the tunnel. Try to stay as focused as you can about the prize, the end product. If this is a workshop event then put the focus on the attendees, if this is a celebration for someone then do everything you can to make the guest of honour happy.